Sydney, Mar 8: Ian Gould of England becomes the 15th umpire to stand in 100 ODIs when he took the field in the Australia versus Sri Lanka match in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 at the Sydney Cricket Ground here today.
Gould joined the first-class umpires' panel in England in 2002 and was inducted to the Emirates International Panel of ICC Umpires in 2006. He made his international umpiring debut in an ODI between England and Sri Lanka at the Oval in June 2006, while he made his Test debut two years later in Bloemfontein in the match between South Africa and Bangladesh.
On completing 100 ODIs, Ian Gould said: "I love umpiring and really consider it a great honour to be on the field with the some of the greatest players in the world. Cricket is just such a great game."
In his cricketing times, Gould was a wicketkeeper-batsman for Middlesex, Sussex and England in a career that ran from 1975 to 1996. He kept wickets for England in 18 One-Day International.
Apart from his 100 ODIs, he has also officiated in 43 Tests and 29 Twenty20 Internationals. The 57-year-old has also umpired in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 and 2011, as well as in the ICC Champions Trophy 2009 and 2013.
Here are the list of umpires with most appearances in One Day Internationals as of March 8, 2015.
1. Rudi Koertzen of South Africa with 209 appearances
2. Billy Bowden of New Zealand with 193 appearances
3. Steve Bucknor of West Indies with 181 appearances
4. Daryl Harper of Australia with 174 appearances
5. Simon Taufel of Australia with 174 appearances
6. David Shepherd of England with 172 appearances
7. Aleem Dar of Pakistan with 169 appearances
8. Darrell Hair of Australia with 139 appearances
9. Russell Tiffin of Zimbabwe with 136 appearances
10. Steve Davis of Australia with 134 appearances
11. Asoka de Silva of Sri Lanka with 122 appearances
12. Billy Doctrove of West Indies with 112 appearances
13. David Orchard of South Africa with 107 appearances
14. Steve Dunne of New Zealand with 100 appearances
15. Ian Gould of England with 100 appearances