Mumbai, Dec 15: The first-ever players draft for the 9th edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) was held today (December) in Mumbai with 7 Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and 3 Rajasthan Royals (RR) cricketers picked.
The star attraction of the draft, MS Dhoni was signed up by the Pune franchise. The draft was held for two new teams - Pune and Rajkot, who replaced the suspended CSK and RR. There were 50 players in the draft and those were not picked (40) will be part of the auction on February 6 in Bengaluru.
Here is the complete list of players picked at the draft (10)
Pune and Rajkot were allowed to choose 5 each (Maximum of 4 capped Indian players). The price limit was set by IPL before the draft.
1st picks - Started with Pune
1. MS Dhoni (India, CSK) Wicketkeeper/Batsman - Pune - Rs 12.5 crore
2. Suresh Raina (India, CSK) Batsman - Rajkot - Rs 12.5 crore
3. Ajinkya Rahane (India, RR) Batsman - Pune - Rs 9.5 crore
4. Ravindra Jadeja (India, CSK) All-rounder - Rajkot - Rs 9.5 crore
5. R Ashwin (India, CSK) Spinner - Pune - Rs 7.5 crore
6. Brendon McCullum (New Zealand, CSK) Wicketkeeper/Batsman - Rajkot - Rs 7.5 crore
7. Steve Smith (Australia, RR) Batsman - Pune - Rs 5.5 crore
8. James Faulkner (Australia, RR) All-rounder - Rajkot - Rs 5.5 crore
5th and final picks
9. Faf du Plessis (South Africa, CSK) - Pune - Rs 4 crore
10. Dwayne Bravo (West Indies, CSK) - Rajkot - Rs 4 crore
Final team line-ups after the draft
Pune: MS Dhoni, Ajinkya Rahane, R Ashwin, Steve Smith, Faf du Plessis
Rajkot: Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Brendon McCullum, James Faulkner, Dwayne Bravo