After having made a 3-0 clean sweep over New Zealand, India are ready to host England in a 5-Test rubber from November 9 in Rajkot. Kohli also took India to the number one spot in ICC Test rankings with the drubbing over the Kiwis.
Kohli, who is riding high on confidence, both as batsman and the team's leader, is set for another milestone.
The 27-year-old right-hander, having already won 10 Tests from 17 (Lost 2, Drawn 5), can surpass Azharuddin by leading India to a 5-0 whitewash over the Alastair Cook-led side.
Azharuddin is third in the list of most Test wins for an Indian captain. He took India to 14 victories from 47 matches. Kohli can equal Azharuddin with 4 wins in the England series and go past him with 5.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni is India's most successful Test skipper with 27 wins from 60 games. Sourav Ganguly is 2nd with 21 successes from 49 contests.
Kohli made his Test captaincy debut in December 2014 against Australia. He is India's 32nd Test captain.
Even if Kohli misses out on the record in England series, he can do it in the next 5 Tests at home when Australia (4 Tests) and Bangladesh (1) arrive.
Ganguly, yesterday (November 2), felt India are capable of inflicting a 5-0 whitewash on England.
"India are playing superb cricket. I am expecting another whitewash like the one against New Zealand. They (England) should be worried," he said.
Most Test wins as India captain (Top 5)
27 (60 matches) - MS Dhoni
21 (49) - Sourav Ganguly
14 (47) - Mohammad Azharuddin
10 (17) - Virat Kohli
9 - Sunil Gavaskar (47), Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi (40)
8 (25) - Rahul Dravid
Kohli's Test wins as captain (10)
1. August 2015 - Vs Sri Lanka (Colombo, P Sara Oval) - India won by 278 runs
2. August 2015 - Vs Sri Lanka (Colombo, Sinhalese Sports Club Ground) - India won by 117 runs
3. November 2015 - Vs South Africa (Mohali) - India won by 108 runs
4. November 2015 - Vs South Africa (Nagpur) - India won by 124 runs
5. December 2015 - Vs South Africa (New Delhi) - India won by 337 runs
6. July 2016 - Vs West Indies (North Sound, Antigua) - India won by an innings and 92 runs
7. August 2016 - Vs West Indies (Gros Islet) - India won by 237 runs
8. September 2016 - Vs New Zealand (Kanpur) - India won by 197 runs
9. October 2016 - Vs New Zealand (Kolkata) - India won by 178 runs
10. October 2016 - Vs New Zealand (Indore) - India won by 321 runs