Despite twin 50s KL Rahul not worried about Test selection

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Basseterre (St. Kitts), July 16: With three opening batsmen in the Indian squad, one of them is likely to miss out when the first Test starts against West Indies, on July 21. Despite two consecutive half centuries in warm-up games, KL Rahul is not worried about his selection.

Ind-WI series schedule

The 17-man Indian squad has three openers in Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan and Rahul. Dhawan struck a half century (51) in the opening tour game against the West Indies Cricket Board President's XI. Yesterday (July 15), he was out for 9 in the second warm-up match against the same opposition.

KL Rahul says selection is not in his control

Vijay also fell cheaply, for 23. Rahul continued his impressive run, retiring out for 64 (127 balls, 9x4, 1x4). This was after his 50 in the previous contest. However, this time he batted at number three after Dhawan and Vijay had opened the batting.

Thanks to Rahul's half century and fifties from captain Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja, India posted 364 all out on Friday. This was after bowling out the hosts for a paltry 180.

Despite his impressive run with the bat, Rahul is not worried about selection for the first Test.

"Look that (team selection) is not in our control. As players, we look to prepare well and whenever an opportunity comes, you need to be prepared to go out there and do well personally and also for your team and play to the roles and responsibilities given," the 24-year-old said after the second day's play at Warner Park.

"There is still a week to go before the Tests. In next couple days, we will know who is playing or not we will start preparing accordingly. But yeah, not really worried about it. When it comes, it comes and whatever has to happen will happen," the Karnataka batsman added.

Rahul has so far played 5 Tests scoring 2 centuries. He made his debut against Australia in Melbourne in December 2014.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...