Dubai, June 3: After Indian Premier League (IPL), Big Bash League (BBL), Caribbean Premier League (CPL), now comes Masters Champions League (MCL). The newest T20 league will see retired players in action.
MCL was today (June 3 Wednesday) launched in Dubai with some of the legends including Brian Lara, Wasim Akram and Adam Gilchrist set to play in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The opening event was also attended by former Australia and England captains Allan Border and Graham Gooch (both are MCL's Governing Council members).
Here is your complete guide to MCL
What is the name of the league?
- Masters Champions League (MCL)
Who are the organisers?
- GM Sports. MCL is approved by Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) for 10 years
Where will it be played?
- In the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Which are the host cities and grounds?
- Abu Dhabi (Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium)
- Dubai (Dubai International Cricket Stadium)
- Sharjah (Sharjah Cricket Stadium)
When will it start?
- February 2016 (To be played over 2 weeks). Twenty20 format
How many teams are there?
- 6 teams. Each side to have 15 players (2 Icon players plus 13). All franchises and players will be auctioned
How many players?
- A total of 90 (all should be retired from international cricket)
Who all have been signed as Icons?
- Brian Lara, Adam Gilchrist, Wasim Akram, Jacques Kallis
Who said what on MCL?
- Brian Lara - "I am thrilled and honoured to be taking part in what promises to be an exceptional display of competitive cricket."
- Dean Jones - "This iconic tournament will be organised and played in the UAE for the next 10 years. Based on the T20 format, this will bring together some of the greatest iconic names that the game has ever seen."
- Ramiz Raja - "It's great to be part of something so unique and exciting."
Who is the President of MCL?
- Abdulrahman Falaknaz
Who is the Chairman of MCL?
- Zafar Shah
Official Twitter handle - @MCL2020UAE
Official Twitter hashtag - #MCL2020UAE
Some of the pictures from the launch event