Last Sunday (February 15), India opened title defence with a convincing 76-run win over Pakistan in Adelaide. This ensured an unbeaten record over the neighbours in World Cup history, with a 6-0 advantage.
Now, as they get ready for second Pool B match, MS Dhoni and his men will be busy working on strategies to stop the Proteas, who are one of the favourites.
At the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), India and South Africa will face off from 9.00 AM IST.
Here are 10 facts about the day/night match
1. India have never beaten South Africa in World Cup. All 3 previous meetings (1992, 99, 2011) have resulted in losses
2. This will be the first match without Tendulkar. He played in all 3
3. Tendulkar is the only Indian to have scored a century against South Africa in World Cup. He hit 111 in 2011
4. Tendulkar is the highest run scorer for India Vs SA in World Cup. He has 153 runs in 3 innings
5. Harbhajan Singh with 3 wickets (best - 3/53 in 2011) is the leading wicket-taker for India
6. For SA, Jacques Kallis is the leading run scorer with 165 runs
7. No SA batsman has scored a ton against India in World Cup. The best is 96 by Kallis in 1999
8. Dale Steyn is the only bowler to have taken a five-wicket haul. He had 5/50 in 2011 and is SA's leading bowler Vs India with 5 scalps in 1 game
9. South Africa's former batsman Gary Kirsten, who coached India to World Cup glory in 2011, is now his home team's consultant
10. Kapil Dev has the highest batting strike rate for India with 144.82 (42 off 29, 3x4, 1x6) in 1992
India Vs South Africa World Cup Results
1992 - SA won by 6 wickets
1999 - SA won by 4 wickets
2011 - SA won by 3 wickets