Raipur, Sep 19: More than 800 people, mostly children, complained of irritation of eyes after being exposed to high resolution halogen lamps during cultural programmes in two villages of Chhattisgarh's Balod district in the past three days, officials said. The condition of all of them was reported to be normal now.
"While 398 people complained of irritation in their eyes at Ghotia village, 405 people at Biretara made the same complaint after watching a dance programme at night," Balod Chief Medical and Health Officer Dr Surya Prasad Saxena told PTI. At Ghotia village, the programme was held last night to mark Vishwakarma puja, whereas on September 16, a function was organised at Biretara as a part of Ganeshotsav festival.
About the incident at Ghotia, Dr Saxena said villagers watched the dance show until early this morning, following which they complained of irritation, redness and watering in the eyes. A team of doctors and ophthalmologists immediately rushed to spot and organised a check-up camp there.
Villagers were given medicines including antibiotics following which the irritation eased and they were sent home, Dr Saxena said, adding there was no need to panic. "The viewers were exposed to high resolution halogen lights for about 8-9 hours.
Besides, smoke of Chinese electronic fireworks was also there. These things might have affected the eyes," he said. Biretara case was similar, he added.
"The situation is normal at both the places now and there is nothing to worry. Exact cause was being ascertained," he said. Meanwhile, a team of doctors from the capital Raipur also visited both the villages today.
Balod collector Rajesh Singh Rana said that although situation in both the villages was now normal, doctors have been deployed there as a precautionary measure. Police were asked to check if halogen lamps with the strength beyond permissible capacity were used, he said.