New Delhi, Sept 15: A ban on triple talaq is expected to get the nod of the union government. In a meeting attended by senior ministers it was decided that the government would not oppose the ban on triple talaq as sought in a petition before the Supreme Court of India.
While the general consensus in the government is not to oppose the ban, the Law Ministry would still need to work on the response to be given to the Supreme Court which has sought for a reply.
The Law Ministry would refer to international practices before preparing a reply and submitting it to the Supreme Court. The reply by the law ministry is to be submitted in the Supreme Court by October 5.
A law ministry official informed OneIndia that they are working on the issue. The official also said that last year a high level committee of the women and child development ministry had recommended a ban on triple talaq.
The official says that there should be no problem in not opposing the ban as countries such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan have either banned or restricted the practise.
The matter which will come up next month will be closely watched by one and all. The All Indian Muslim Law Personal Board had made some scathing observations in an affidavit while opposing the ban on triple talaq.
The board had said that there is a good chance that if the practise is banned the husband may end up killing the wife if he is made to go through a lengthy divorce process.