New Delhi, Feb 26: The Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Suresh Prabhu will be the sixth railway minister to present the Railway Budget in five years. Here is a list of railway ministers who presented their budget since 2011:
- Mamata Banerjee (Trinamool Congress) had presented the railway budget of 2011-12 when her party was part of the UPA government at the Centre.
- Dinesh Trivedi (Trinamool Congress) had presented the railway budget of 2012-13 after he had succeeded Mamata Banerjee who took oath as the chief minister of West Bengal. However, Trivedi had a sour experience as he was asked by his party leadership to step down for proposing a hike in railway fares. He was replaced by Rajya Sabha MP of the Trinamool Congress, Mukul Roy.
- Pawan Kumar Bansal (Congress) became the first Congress railway minister in 18 years to present the railway budget for 2013-14. He had replaced CP Joshi who served as a stop-gap incumbent after the Trinamool Congress pulled out of the UPA in September 2012.
- Mallikarjun Kharge (Congress) presented the Interim Railway Budget in 2014 before the country went to the Lok Sabha poll in April-May.
- Sadananda Gowda (BJP) became the first railway minister of the Narendra Modi government to present the budget in July. Gowda, however, had a short stay in the office and was replaced by former Shiv Sena leader Prabhu who joined the BJP in November 2014.
- Suresh Prabhu (BJP) to present the railway budget of 2015-16.
Indians have been complaining about the ordinary standards of the Indian Railways that need a big revival. But with a new incumbent presenting an important document like budget each year, can we expect any realistic change in the railways' fortunes?