New Delhi, May 7: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has its task cut out and unless and until it gets information from abroad, it would find it difficult to bust the ISIS trail in India.
On Friday, a court had granted the NIA 3 more months time to probe the case against five persons suspected to be part of the ISIS in India.
While the arrests of these persons two months ago was a quick affair the same cannot be said about the probe. The NIA has been questioning these operatives and has secured ample information. However for the agency to take it forward it has to get information from abroad as most of the communication was over the internet.
Confusion regarding the mastermind
All the five persons being questioned by the NIA have said that the person handling them was Shafi Armar. The NIA is still ascertaining whether Armar a resident of Bhatkal in Karnataka had been killed in an air strike in Syria or not.
Only a few weeks back there were reports stating that he had been killed in an air strike that was conducted by the United States of America.
NIA officials say that they are seeking confirmation of his death, but so far no concrete information has come by. In addition to this the accused persons have told us that they have been using social media accounts to communicate. We have written to several countries for more information and are awaiting the same, the NIA also says.
For this probe to go ahead there is a great deal of cooperation required from abroad. India had even sought China's assistance to crack the communication details between these operatives and those living abroad. Such cases are never easy to probe as a lot of the evidence is digital in nature, the NIA official also noted.