New Delhi, July 28: The face off along the international border at Uttarakhand between India and China lasted for 30 minutes on July 22. The Chinese were not armed and were in civil clothes, a senior official told OneIndia. It is not a major incursion and was a minor breach that was sorted out immediately, the officer also informed.
On Wednesday, Uttarakhand state government had sent a report on the Chinese incursions along the Barahoti stretch to the union government. The Chief Minister of Uttarakhand had confirmed that Chinese troops had been spotted in the area while adding that this is a matter of serious concern. He also said that the state has asked the centre to increase vigil.
The centre however maintained that the mutually agreed norm was not violated. The Chinese were in plain clothes and did not carry any arms.
In the year 1958 a Chinese delegation had visited India. It was decided that both countries will not send troops into this area. It was also agreed upon that only shepherds would be allowed into this area. However, a final settlement on this dispute is still awaited.
According to officials, the face off lasted for 30 minutes. Six personnel of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police which mans the Indo-China border accompanied officials to the region.
The Chinese then told the team to return. Both teams returned and the issue was sorted out.
On such incursions, the ITBP has sent reports to the home ministry. At a Chief Minister's conference it was stated that the Chinese had entered this territory at least 37 times between 2007 and 2012.