The Supreme Court upheld the BMC's November 2013 order, which fixed the deadline of May 31, 2014 for Campa Cola residents to vacate their unauthorised houses.
"It is a big humanitarian problem. 140 families have been asked to vacate the premises with no other place to go," senior advocate Raju Ramachandran, appearing for the residents association, said, adding that, he was not advancing any arguments on legal grounds as it is nearly a mercy plea.
Demolition of the unauthorised buildings will follow after the residents vacate the society. The SC last week ended the long drawn battle between the Campa Cola compound residents and the BMC over the demolition notice issues almost two decades ago by upholding the demolition of all 96 flats in the illegally constructed floors.
The residents had claimed they were innocent victims of the process and the complicity between the BMC officials and the developers. The SC in its judgment held that the residents cannot be deemed to have been so innocent.
The BMC has plans to start the process of demolition. It had already prepared a report of all the steps it had taken earlier which it said the residents had successfully thwarted so far.
The builders were originally allowed to build up to five floors but what came up included two towers of 17 and 20 floors each and three buildings of six floors each and two of seven floors.