Mumbai, Feb 14: A massive fire broke out at the Make In India' programme at the Girgaum Chowpatty here on Sunday night. The fire broke out at the stage when a cultural programme was underway.
No casualties were reported. There were over 2,000 people present on the occasion when the incident occurred.
Celebrities like Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan, Madhuri Dixit, actor-MP Hema Malini, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Governor C Vidyasagar Rao, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and other dignitaries, also from abroad, were present at the event when the fire broke out.
They were evacuated at once after the fire was first spotted under the stage where a cultural programme was on around 8.30 pm. The media people and security officials present on the occasion raised an alarm after watching the fire and the dance crew was safely moved out.
The reason behind the fire was yet to be ascertained. Some said short-circuit could have been caused the fire. The stage was completely gutted.
The Make in India Centre was inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi on Saturday
The organisers said around five fire engines were pressed in to action to evacuate the participants and spectators and the VIPs. They said the fire safety measures were in place at the event, However, there were other voices felt otherwise.
The fire was brought under control after around an hour. Actor Viveik Oberoi, who was present there, thanked the city police, organisers and fire officials for ensuring that there was no casualty.