Mumbai, March 2:The Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh police on Thursday nabbed one person in connection with the extortion call to the filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt in a joint operation. According to reports, the accused in his threat to the filmmaker said that he would fire several rounds of bullets at his residence and kill the family members if he failed to pay a ransom of Rs 50 lakh.
Bhatt on Wednesday had filed a complaint with the Juhu police station after he received the calls.
Bhatt on Thursday took to Twitter and said, 'A bolt from the blue in the form of an extortion call & threat to my family was nipped in the bud by the MH & UP police in tandem. Gratitude!'
A bolt from the blue in the form of an extortion call & threat to my family was nipped in the bud by the MH & UP police in tandem.Gratitude!— Mahesh Bhatt (@MaheshNBhatt) March 2, 2017
Police officials registered an FIR on late Wednesday night.
The caller also sent Bhatt several messages on WhatsApp as well. This is, however, not the first time that the filmmaker is receiving threat calls. Earlier in 2014, Bhatt was threatened that his whole family would be killed by a particular gang.