Security arrangements were beefed up for the occasion with National Security Guard commandos, Special Task Force personnel from Gujarat and over 1,000 state policemen deployed at Kothi Meena Bazar Ground for the rally. Metal detectors were put up at the entrance gates while parking spaces were set up several kilometres away from the venue.
The security authorities are taking no chances when it comes to Modi's rally in the wake of the serial blasts in Patna on October 27 that killed five persons besides injuring several others.
The Intelligence Bureau has recently cautioned against terror outfits like the Indian Mujahideen and Lashkar-e-Toiba widening their networks to carry out deadly attacks in India (Read here). This has made the security authorities all the more careful about taking full security measures at the rallies of Modi.
The Uttar Pradesh BJP felicitated two of its MLAs accused of fuelling the Muzaffarnagar riots at its Vijay Shanknad rally in Agra before Modi's speech began.
High points of what Modi said at the rally:
1. Tourism business will cross 3 trillion dollars but will Agra gain from this, asked Modi at the rally, saying it won't because of the mindset of the rulers in Delhi.
2. Agra is a major tourism centre. Shouldn't it have an airport. asked Modi.
3. The Centre and the state government blame each other but none do anything.
4. Agra is located near the Yamuna River yet it has a major problem with clean drinking water. He slams the state government for not taking care of what is needed on the ground, Modi said
5. High time we make value addition to what farmers produce, Modi said.
6. Parties like the BSP and SP have learnt vote-bank politics from the Congress and have added colours to it, he said.
7. Only development as an agenda can put an end to issues like casteism, communalism and dynasty politics, Modi said.
8. The UP govt has not provided basic amenities to the people of Agra, Modi said.
9. Modi slams the SP government over the poor electricity situation in the state.
10. Modi tears into the Congress, SP and BSP.