Kawal killings: 1st anniversary observed under tight security

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Muzaffarnagar, Aug 28: Amid tight security, hundreds of people including Union minister Sanjeev Baliyan on day observed the first death anniversary of two youths killed in Kawal village, following which riots had erupted in the district and adjoining Shamli last year.

Family members and relatives performed the rituals and 'havan' at the ceremony organised in Nagla Mador village near Kawal. Nearly one thousand people attended it.

Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) chief Naresh Tikait was also present. Muzaffarnagar district magistrate (DM) Koshal Raj Sharma told PTI that the ceremony passed off peacefully.

"No untoward incident was reported in the district today," he added.

To maintain peace and order, as many as 16 companies of para-military forces had been deployed in the area, besides policemen, the DM said. Meanwhile, in Kawal Village the family members and relatives of another deceased, Shahnawaz, also performed rituals today.

Tension had prevailed in Kawal village after three persons were killed over an eve-teasing incident in August last year, making it the epicentre of the riots in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas that claimed over 60 lives and left more than 40,000 homeless. 

PTI

Please Wait while comments are loading...