A fresh status report, filed by Divisional Commissioner of Saharanpur, however, admitted that nearly 10,000 persons are still living in 10 operational camps and the residents of six riots-hit villages of Muzaffarnagar "have not agreed to return to their native villages even after confidence building measures and serious persuasion."
"Their decision was found to be justified largely based on the fear emanating from the kind of incidents that broke out on 7-8 September," it said, adding the state government has decided to pay the families, reluctant to go back, Rs 5 lakh per family for "resettlement and rehabilitation".
The report, which would be considered on November 21 by the bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam who had taken serious note of fresh violence in the area, said that so far "581 persons have been arrested in connection with various FIRs lodged for incidents of violence, arson and looting."
Clashes killed 61 persons and left various persons injured.
"The Government of UP has paid Rs 6.15 crore to the families of the 61 deceased persons and Rs 17.50 lakh to 35 seriously injured persons and Rs 9.40 lakh to 47 persons with simple injuries," it said, adding the Centre has sanctioned Rs 1.49 crore for them.
The state government would also give jobs to one member of the family of 56 persons who died during the riots. The report also gave details of arrangements made by the state government in relief camps including medical facilities and compensations paid to the victims under different heads.
The Supreme Court is hearing various petitions relating to communal clashes that had broken out in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas of western UP on September 7 that killed 61 persons and left various persons injured.
Earlier, it had expressed concern over eruption of fresh violence in Muzaffarnagar on October 30 claiming four lives and said it will send an independent fact-finding team to assess the situation if it is not satisfied with UP's response.