Kolkata, Dec 14: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee made a series of remarks at the state Secretariat soon after the news about Madan Mitra's arrest by the CBI in connection to the Saradha scam reached her.
Here is what she said in reaction to the event:
- "He (Madan Mitra) went and they arrested him!", the CM said
this after confirming the news with the Trinamool Congress's
General Secretary Mukul Roy. [Mamata calls CBI "Nyaka Chandi"; ex-judge, Oppn
says she insulted court]
- "This is not done. They must inform us first and take
permission of the speaker of the assembly. Law and order is a
subject of the state. This arrest is illegal." [Backing Madan Mitra: Is Mamata
- "Did the CBI inform you about Madan Mitra's arrest? How could
they do this? Go through the law book just now and let me know," CM
Banerjee asked assembly speaker Biman Banerjee after the
bureaucrats informed her that the CBI can arrest without consulting
the state government and it needed to inform the speaker in case
the minister was arrested from the assembly.
Mamata didn't spare top bureaucrats when she learn that laws can't be changed
According to a report in Anandabazaar Patrika, the chief minister expressed her displeasure before the chief secretary and the state police director general as to why the law book was not made as per her preference.
- "Change the law so that the CBI can not avoid the state government while making arrests," the CM told the law secretary.
- "I am not going to keep quite like Jayalalithaa. I will expose the conspiracy against us." Banerjee said after failing to find a way to change the rules.