Bengal: Labour room catches fire, women deliver in torch light!

Subscribe to Oneindia News
Kolkata, Nov 25: Two women were forced in give birth in torch light after the labour room caught fire! The tragic incident occurred in a rural hospital in Manbazar in Purulia district of West Bengal in the wee hours of Monday.

According to a report published in Anandabazaar Patrika on Monday, the fire broke out because of a short circuit and most of the patients were asleep in an adjoining room then. One woman, who was admitted to the hospital for delivery, noticed the fire first and raised an alarm. Seven women were in the room then, some with their newborns. They all ran out and the fire was brought under control by the hospital employees and the families of the patients who were present there, said the report.

The deliveries were done in torch light since power was cut off

They did not dare to return to their room even after the fire was doused and spent the remaining night in the verandah of the hospital. The agony didn't end here. According to the report, two of the expecting women felt labour pain at this moment and since the hospital authorities disconnected the power supply in the wake of the fire, the duo was forced to give birth in the dark and in the light of the torch!

Hospital authorities said the last time the old hospital had seen electricity repair work was three decades back, the report said. A section of the hospital staff members that a fire had broken out in the operation theatre of the hospital once but the higher authorities allegedly remained indifferent to repair the waring.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...