Washington, Mar 1: US President Donald Trump on Tuesday in his first speech to the Congress recalled the attack on the Jewish cemetery and the shooting incident in Kansas and said, "We are a country that stands united in condemning hate and evil in all of its very ugly forms." "Am here to deliver a message of unity and strength," he added.
Here are the highlights of his speech:
- We will be inspired by future, not bound by failures of the past - guided by vision, not blinded by doubts.
- We want harmony and stability, not war and conflict. We want peace, wherever peace can be found.
- I am not going to let America be taken advantage of anymore.
- We support NATO, an alliance forged through bonds of two World Wars that dethroned fascism, a Cold War that defeated communism. We will respect historic institutions, but we will also respect the foreign rights of nations and they have to respect our rights.
- We must provide the men and women of U.S. Military with the tools they need to prevent war and if they must, to fight and to win. I am sending a budget that calls for one of the largest increases in national defence spending in American history.
- Have told Homeland Security to set up a centre to help Americans who are victims of crime by illegal immigrants.
- We must build bridges of cooperation and trust. We cannot let unity collapse. We must support the incredible men and women of law enforcement.
- Every American child should be able to grow up in a safe community, to attend a great school, and to have access to a high-paying job.
- I call upon members of both parties to pass an education bill that funds school choice for disadvantaged youth.
- My administration wants to work with members in both parties to make childcare accessible and affordable.
- Time has come to let Americans purchase insure of their choice. Everything that is broken in our country can be fixed. Our citizens deserve so much more. Let us get the job done and get it done right.
- I call on all Republicans, Democrats and Congress to help save America from Obamacare. We must ensure that Americans with pre-existing conditions have access to coverage.
- I call on this Congress to repeal and replace Obamacare with reforms that expand choice, lower costs, provide better healthcare. Obamacare premiums nationwide have increased by double and triple digits. Arizona went up 116% last year alone.
- I believe Republicans and Democrats can work together to achieve an outcome that has eluded our country for decades.
- I will ensure that millions of new jobs are created. Buy American and hire American will be our principle.
- In the last 8 years, the past administration has put on more new debt than nearly all other Presidents combined.
- Harley Davidson told me in some companies there is a tax of 100 per cent. They were not even asking for a change, but I am. There has to be fair trade.
- My team is developing historic tax reform that will reduce the tax rate on our companies so they can compete and thrive anywhere.
- Have imposed sanctions on entities, individuals who support Iran's ballistic missile program, reaffirmed unbreakable alliance with Israel.
- We cannot allow a beachhead of terrorism to form inside America - we cannot allow our Nation to become a sanctuary for extremists.
- We are also taking strong measures to protect our nation from radical Islamic terrorism.
- We will soon begin the construction of a great wall along our southern border.
- By finally enforcing immigration laws, we will raise wages,help unemployed, save billions of dollars, and make our communities safer.
- To protect our citizens, I have directed the Justice Dept to form a Task Force on reducing violent crime.
- We have begun to drain the swamp of corruption by imposing a lifetime ban on becoming lobbyists for a foreign government. For every new regulation, 2 old regulations must be eliminated. Regulations that threaten livelihood of coal miners will be stopped.
- We will create millions of American jobs. Stock market has gained 3 trillion dollars since the elections
- I will not allow the mistakes of recent decades past to define the course of our future.
- Surge of optimism is placing impossible dreams firmly within our grasp. What we are witnessing today is renewal of American spirit.
- Our military will be given great infrastructure. Our terrible drug epidemic will slow down and ultimately stop. We will see a re-birth of safety. We will keep our promises to the American people.
- America must put its own citizens first, because only then can we truly make America great again.
US Congress observed a minute's silence for the Kansas shooting victims, in which an Indian engineer, Srinivas Kuchibhotla died. The White House had earlier issued a statement saying that the President condemned the shooting incident.