United Nations calls for humanitarian access in Myanmar's Kachin state

'Clashes in Myanmar affecting people'
New York, Oct 26: UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Myanmar Ashok Nigam expressed deep concern on Friday over the recent clashes between government troops and the rebels in Kachin state that have blocked humanitarian access to some 1,000 civilians.
"While some people have been able to escape the fighting, many are unable to move to safer locations," said Martin Nesirky, spokesperson for UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, citing Nigam's call for a safe passage.

UN estimates that some 1,200 internally displaced people live in a village near where the fighting broke out on Tuesday.

Nesirky added that due to the renewed fighting, UN and its partners had to cancel a mission last month to deliver assistance to people living in the area.

UN suspended assistance mission last month due to fighting

Nigam has called for immediate access for humanitarian partners, "as people are in urgent need of assistance," he said.

Government forces of Myanmar and the Kachin Independence Army, the army of Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) have been engaged in continuous fighting since June 2011 when a 1994 ceasefire agreement was broken. Since December 2011, the Myanmar government and KIO have held several rounds of peace talks.


Please Wait while comments are loading...