Tunis, June 29: Islamic State (ISIS) militants ruined my son's brain, said the father of the Tunisian gunman who killed at least 38 people over the weekend.
"These people ruined my son's brain with horrid thoughts and ideas, they broke him," The Telegraph quoted Rezgui's father Hakinm as saying.
Hakinm spent two days in police custody to say he had no inkling of what his 23-year-old son was planning.
"I don't know what to say, I don't know anything. I didn't know what he was doing, that's what I told the police and that's what I'm telling you.
"People keep asking me for information and I don't know what to tell them, I was completely taken aback by the news of what my son had done."
"I had just got back from work at 11:30am, I work in the railway lines. I went to sleep as it's Ramadan and I was fasting, then at 4pm the police came to my house and said they needed me to come with them. I asked why and they said ‘haven't you been watching the news?' and that's when they told me.
"I was shocked of course, I didn't realise it was even happening, he's been going to university and doing well, and that's all I knew."
A video of gunman Rezgui emerged on Sunday as the security services tried to understand what transformed him into an Islamic State-inspired terrorist.
He had been studying engineering in Kairouan, about 30 miles from Sousse, where the massacre took place on Friday. He was a normal student during first year but change became evident in him later, said his fellow students.
"He was studious until he joined this Islamic student union," said a student.