Syria announces surprise easing of Aleppo assault

Damascus, Oct 5 Syria's military today announced a surprise reduction in bombardment of rebel groups in devastated Aleppo, nearly two weeks after declaring an all-out assault to capture the city.


Aleppo city was once Syria's thriving commercial hub, but it now lies divided between rebels in the east and regime forces in the west.

Syria's government announced a large-scale offensive to capture the whole city on September 22, ushering in a ferocious bombing campaign on opposition-held quarters.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 270 people, including 53 children, had been killed in air raids on the eastern districts since the assault began.

But today, Syria's military said it would reduce the bombardment "after the success of our armed forces in Aleppo and cutting off all terrorist supply routes into the eastern districts".

"The military command has decided to reduce the number of air strikes and artillery on terrorist positions to allow civilians that want to leave to reach safe areas," the statement carried by news agency SANA said. It was not immediately clear what was behind the move, or if Russian air strikes would also be reduced.

Forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad have been waging their offensive in the city centre, the northern outskirts, and the southern edges of Aleppo with the backing of Russian air power.

But the onslaught has come under fierce international scrutiny amid accusations the joint air strikes were destroying the east's civilian infrastructure.

On Monday, bombardment destroyed the largest hospital in rebel-held quarters, where an estimated 250,000 people live under government siege.

Hours later, the US announced it would suspend bilateral efforts with Moscow at reviving a ceasefire, accusing Russia of trying to bomb Syrian civilians "into submission".

Moscow and Washington's top diplomats had been working together since early this year to reach a diplomatic solution to Syria's bloodshed, which has killed more than 300,000 people since 2011.

An agreement in September had envisioned an end to hostilities, increased aid deliveries, and eventual coordination between the two world powers against jihadists -- but it collapsed after a week.


Please Wait while comments are loading...