Canberra, Aug 20: At least seven men suspected of trying to join Islamic State (ISIS) detained by the Australian authorities, media reported on Thursday.
Five men aged in their 20s and 30s were prevented from flying out of Sydney airport last week to an undisclosed location, said Australian Border Protection Minister Peter Dutton.
"We have stopped at the airport, seven young Australians who were planning to travel to the Middle East it seems to join terrorist groups over there," said Prime Minister Tony Abbott here.
Each of the five were found to be carrying about A$10,000 ($7,347) when their luggage was searched, he said.
Another two men were stopped when they attempted to board a flight from Sydney at the weekend. Dutton said those two had connections with the five men detained earlier.
Australia raised its threat level to "high" last year and conducted series of raids in major cities like Melbourne and other places.
Australian officials have intensified efforts to prevent radicalized citizens from joining organizations such as the Islamic State militant group that has seized large areas of Iraq and Syria.
PM Abbott has told parliament at least 70 Australians were fighting in Iraq and Syria, backed by about 100 Australia-based "facilitators".