Washington, Jan 30: Republican Mitt Romney said on Friday that he will not run for the presidency in 2016. In a written statement, Romney, 68, the former governor of Massachusetts, said he put considerable thought into the decision and decided to make way for other leaders in the party to become its nominee in the next election.
The United States will see a new incumbent in the White House after the two-term office of current President Barack Obama concludes in 2016.
Romney had contested as the Republican candidate in 2012 and surprised donors earlier this month by saying that he was considering another campaign. He spent the month inviting donors and strategists and giving addresses, including to a Republican National Committee summit.
Romney had formally announced his candidature for the 2008 presidential election as well before endorsing John McCain who ultimately contested the poll as the Republican candidate.
Did Romney feel that former Florida governor Jeb Bush began to run away with the show? The two Republicans were seen competing for many of the same supporters and strategists.
Did David Kochel's move towards Jeb Bush rattle Mitt Romney?
"I believe that one of our next generation of Republican leaders, one who may not be as well known as I am today, one who has not yet taken their message across the country, one who is just getting started, may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democrat nominee," Romney said.