Post the 'Beheading video', FB strengthens violent images standards

San Francisco, Oct 23: In a decision, after the huge public outcry against the beheading video of a woman, Facebook has decided to strengthen its video posting policies. The world's no 1. Social Networking Site had earlier claimed that the video was posted as a condemnation and not as a celebration and hence could be allowed. A result of a temporary ban on images of graphic violence, the graphic showed a masked man beheading a woman in Mexico.

Replying to the outcry, Facebook said,"videos are permitted on its site so long as the content is posted in a manner intended for its users to "condemn" the acts rather than celebrate them."

However, on Tuesday, it said that it has reviewed its policies to strengthen them. Facebook said,""When we review content that is reported to us, we will take a more holistic look at the context surrounding a violent image or video." It further added:

"Second, we will consider whether the person posting the content is sharing it responsibly, such as accompanying the video or image with a warning and sharing it with an age-appropriate audience."

Nevertheless, it has to work on an impending challenge as Facebook positions itself as th ego-to-online destination where people can upload every minute's details.

Acknowledging the fact that its decision to allow the post on Tuesday was flawed, it said,"Based on these enhanced standards, we have re-examined recent reports of graphic content and have concluded that this content improperly and irresponsibly glorifies violence. For this reason, we have removed it."

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...