Philippines typhoon toll reaches 2,275; surpasses President's estimate

Manila, Nov 13: The death toll from the Philippines typhoon increased to 2,275 on Wednesday, surpassing the number that President Benigno Aquino III had predicted.

Aquino said on Tuesday that he was expecting the toll around 2,000 although reports were still to pour in from several towns then.

Earlier on Wednesday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council revealed the number of deaths at 1,833, which had made Typhoon Haiyan one of the five deadliest natural disasters in the east Asian island nation.

Infrastructure worth USD 4.6 have been damaged in the disaster.

The deadly storm has affected seven million people across 41 provinces, said sources in the disaster office. Nearly 1,50,000 houses were either damaged or affected while over 5.8 lakh people were displaced. Eighty people were reportedly missing. Infrastructure worth USD 4.6 million and agricultural crops worth USD 5.5 million have been damaged in the disaster.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...