Washington, Sep 11: The Pentagon confirmed that the US has deployed an additional 75 troops and other assets to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula amid intensified security concerns.
The deployment included a light infantry platoon, forward surgical teams and other equipment and vehicles, Xinhua quoted Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook as saying on Thursday.
"Right now, our top priority is the safety and security of those US personnel there," Cook said.
The move came after several US troops with the multinational force and observers' peacekeeping mission were injured last week in a roadside bomb explosion during a routine patrol.
Cook said the planning of the deployment began before the attacks and was not a result of the incident.
Currently, there are about 720 US soldiers in the Sinai as part of a multinational force to monitor compliance with the 1979 peace treaty between Egypt and Israel.