Islamabad, Sept 18: The Tehrik-e-Taliban in an email sent to journalists has claimed responsibility for the attack on the Pakistan Air Force camp today. In a statement, the spokesperson of the Tehrik-e-Taliban, Muhammad Khurasani has said that today's attack was carried out by his group.
Although the outfit has not stated the reasons for the attack, it is clear that their target were the high ranking officers of the Pakistan army. It appears as though the Peshawar's Badaber area which houses several high ranking officers of the Pakistan army were the targets in this attack.
The TTP has been in war against the Pakistan army for several months now. The Pakistan army had launched an operation titled Zarb-e-Arb in which several militants in the TTP were targeted.
The TTP had several months back claimed that in this operation, the army had targeted women and children. This falling out led to the brutal attack on the Peshawar school in which scores of children were killed.
The TTP had asked at that time if the Pakistan army now realizes the pain of losing their children.
Today's attack appears to be a continuation of the war by the TTP against the Pakistan army. It appears as though they wanted to target several officers in the attack. So far six militants have been killed in the attack.
Director-General (DG) Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) Major-General Asim Bajwa said on Twitter that two security forces personnel were injured in the exchange of fire, one of whom has been identified as Major Haseeb of the Quick Reaction Force (QRF).
According to eye witnesses there were around 6 to 7 terrorists, but the DG ISPR stated that there could be 7 to 10 of them who staged this attack.