Nairobi mall freed from terrorists, say Kenya authorities

Subscribe to Oneindia News

nairobi-terror-attack
Nairobi, Sept 24: The Kenyan interior ministry said on Monday night that the country's army took control of Nairobi's Westgate Shopping Mall where a deadly terror attack took place last Saturday, leaving over 60 dead, including foreign nationals. All the hostages held by the gunmen were freed, said the authorities.

The terrorists took control of the mall after carrying out the massacre and it took three days for the troops to recover the shopping centre. Several people were also injured in what was Kenya's worst terror disaster since the 1998 US embassy bombings.

Government spokesperson said that the special forces combing the building did not encounter any more resistance and it was believed that the horror was over. The forces, however, do not rule out the possibility of some of the assassins yet taking cover in some remote corner of the building.

Despite no resistance, the Kenyan troops were yet not taking any chances

Huge explosions were heard in the building while black smoke continued to billow over the national capital. The terror outfit comprised people of different nationalities, including those from the US and UK.

The exact numbers of hostages freed were not known although the Red Cross had earlier reported that 63 people had gone missing, including the hostages and the killed.

Eleven Kenyan soldiers were also injured in the intense gunbattle.

Somalia-based terror outfit Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack. Three terrorists were killed during the encounter and over 10 persons were arrested.

The nephew and fiancee of Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta were also killed in the attack.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...