Munich/Berlin/Washington, July 23: Nine people were killed after a gunman opened fire at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall in the Moosach district of Munich on Friday (July 22) evening. [No Indian among casualties: Sushma Swaraj]
The gunman was also killed, taking the toll to 10. [IS handle celebrates but yet to claim responsibility]
Here are some of the highlights related to yet another tragedy which hit Europe over the last few months:
Munich gunman 'deranged,' no links to IS: Police
German police on Saturday said they had no evidence a teenage gunman who killed nine people in Munich had any links to the Islamic State group and described the attack as "a classic act by a deranged person," AFP reported.
Police warned of "acute terror situation"
Munich Police said they suspected "terrorism" in the shooting, AFP said. The police, which had said earlier that at least six were dead, warned of an "acute terror situation" with three assailants at large with "long guns", the AFP cited DPA news agency as saying. [Munich attack: Facebook activates safety check tool]
German President Gauck "horrified"
German President Joachim Gauck on Friday (July 22) expressed horror over the "murderous attack" in the shopping mall. "I am with all the victims in my thoughts and all those who are mourning or fearful for loved ones," Gauck said in a statement, adding that his "solidarity" was with emergency services personnel trying to "protect people and save lives", the AFP said. German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere, who was flying to New York when the shooting began, headed back to Germany, a ministry spokesman said. [Indian consulate in Munich issues advisory]
US President Obama pledges support to Germany
US President Barack Obama on Friday (July 22) pledged support to Germany, IANS said.
The US also issued an advisory for its citizens in Germany asking them to conecntrate on a high level of vigilance and enhance personal security. [Germans feared terror attack: Poll]
Obama said: "We don't yet know exactly what's happening there, but obviously our hearts go out to those who may have been injured. We are going to pledge all the support they may need."
PM Narendra Modi condemns attack
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday (July 23) condemned the shooting rampage.
"We are appalled by the horrific incident in Munich. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased and those injured," he tweeted.
Don't speculate: Munich Police
The Munich Police asked online commentators to not to speculate about the tragedy, IANS reported.
"...That would make our jobs much easier!. Thank you for your support," they wrote on their Facebook page.
Meanwhile, Munich's main train station was completely evacuated and the city's transport system has been suspended.
People are offering space to the stranded people in their own homes on social media, using the hashtag #Offenetuer---which means "open door"---for people who are stranded without a way to get home, BBC reported.
The police also asked everybody to stay indoors.
Czech Republic alerted
The Czech Republic's Interior Minister Milan Chovanec told his country's local television that its border with Germany will be reinforced in case the Munich attacker(s) tried to flee, German broadcaster NTV reported.
According to the German tabloid Bild, police personnel were being drafted in from neighbouring Austria to help in Munich.
The newspaper also reported that security forces were being sent to Munich from Bavaria and Hessen and Baden-Wuerttemberg.
British Foreign Secretary expresses shock
Britain's Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson tweeted that he was 'shocked and saddened' by the shooting.
"Deeply shocked & saddened by #Munich shootings. My thoughts are w/ the victims, their loved ones & all #Germany at this time," he Tweeted.
Hillary Clinton condemns shooting
Democratic presidential nominee for the US elections Hillary Clinton condemned the shooting and
said she is "monitoring the horrific situation in Munich".
"We stand with our friends in Germany as they work to bring those responsible to justice," she tweeted.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel's chief of staff speaks
Speaking to German television ARD, Chancellor Angela Merkel's Chief of Staff Peter Altmaier said the possibility of a terrorist attack could not be ruled out.
"We don't rule out any possibility. I was in close contact with the Bavarian interior minister all afternoon and evening. The Chancellor is being kept up to date at all times and everything we know and can say so far is that it was an inhuman, cruel attack. Our thoughts are with the victims of this attack. We can't rule out a terrorist connection, we can't confirm this but we investigate in this direction as well," he tweeted.
According to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper, GSG9 -- an elite German counter-terrorism unit was deployed in the counter-operation in Munich.
[With agency inputs]