Metropolitan Police said on Wednesday that the 20-year-old man, suspected of planning to travel to Syria for terrorist purposes, was arrested around 7 a.m. local time on Wednesday by detectives from the Metropolitan Police Service's Counter Terrorism Command, Xinhua reported.
The arrest took place at a residential area in east London. The suspect remains in custody.
Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police said on Wednesday that a man named Jabed Hussain, 21, had been charged with an alleged terrorism offence at Westminster Magistrates' Court.
The man from west London faced two charges of preparation for alleged terrorist acts, which were related to travel with the intention of joining a "proscribed organisation," the police said.