The suspect, Ahmed Abu Khatallah, now in US custody in a secure location outside of Libya, was arrested Sunday following a joint operation carried out by American forces and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Libya's second largest city of Benghazi, Xinhua reported.
Libyan Foreign Ministry Spokesman Said al-Saoud said the government condemned the US operation on Libyan territory without the government's prior knowledge, and added that the suspect should be returned to Libya and tried in Libyan courts.
"I followed the government statements made by the US officials that their forces kidnapped Libyan citizen Ahmed Abu Khtallah. We emphasize Libya has the right to try him in accordance with our laws," al-Saoud said.
Libyan Justice Minister Saleh al-Marghani stated Wednesday that Khatallah should be returned to Libya and tried there.
Last year, the US filed charges against Khattala and at least a dozen others in connection with the attack on its consulate September 2012 in Benghazi, which killed US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.