Israel accused Hamas and other Palestinian groups of violating the ceasefire but refused to delve into any more details.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement that ‘Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza Strip had violated the ceasefire.'
Meanwhile firing continued in Gaza Strip. Israeli shelling killed 40 people on Friday a hospital spokesperson said.
Missile warning sirens were blaring out in southern Israel on Friday morning.
The 72-hour truce had been announced in a joint statement by John Kerry, the secretary of state, and Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary general. However shelling resumed three hours after the truce was called.
Israel launched its offensive in Hamas Islamist-dominated Gaza on July 8, unleashing air and naval bombardments in response to a surge of cross-border rocket attacks. Tanks and infantry pushed into the territory of 1.8 million on July 17.
Gaza officials say at least 1,459 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed and 7,000 wounded.