IS commander behind Tunisia attacks likely killed in US strike

Washington, Feb 20: A US air strike targeting ISIS training camp in Libya likely killed a senior militant who was linked to two major attacks in Tunisia last year in which nearly 60 people lost their lives, the Pentagon said.

ISIS operative Noureddine Chouchane alias Sabir, a Tunisian national and senior facilitator of the group in Libya, likely killed in the attack. The US military conducted the air strike in Libya's Sabratha and destroyed an ISIS training camp.

IS commander behind Tunisia attacks dead

Chouchane was associated with the training camp which was wiped out in the air strike, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.

"Destruction of the camp and Chouchane's removal will eliminate an experienced facilitator and is expected to have an immediate impact on ISIL's ability to facilitate its activities in Libya, including recruiting new ISIL members, establishing bases in Libya, and potentially planning external attacks on US interests in the region," Cook said.

Read More: ISIS chief Baghdadi 'surfaces' after 18 months: Report

In May 2015, Tunisian authorities named Chouchane as a suspect in the March 18, 2015, deadly attack on the Bardo Museum in Tunis. Chouchane was also linked to June's hotel attack in Sousse, which killed 38 people, and the massacre that killed 22 people at the Bardo National Museum in Tunis.

"We are assessing the results of the operation and will provide additional information as and when appropriate," Cook said, adding the strike demonstrates the US will go after ISIS whenever it is necessary, using the full range of tools at our disposal.


Please Wait while comments are loading...