Paris, June 14: Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve on Tuesday described the fatal attack on a top police officer and his partner by a man claiming allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) as a "terrorist act". [IS sympathiser kills 49 in US nightclub]
The killer stabbed the officer to death and took his woman partner and child hostage in their home in Magnanville near Paris before the police neutralised him. Later, the woman was also found dead but the kid was saved.
Abballa lived in the nearby Mantes-La-Jolie and was convicted for "criminal association with the aim of preparing terroist acts".
France's media said the killer, who was identified as 25-year-old Larossi Abballa, had been sentenced three years ago for involvement with jihadist groups having links with Pakistan.
The IS's Ahmaq news agency said an IS fighter carried out the attack. If that happens to be true, then it would be the first militant attack in France since the dastardly attack in November last year which saw 130 people dead and led to the imposition of a state of emergency.
Speaking after a cabinet meeting presided over by President Francois Hollande, Cazeneuve said over 100 people seen as potential threats have been arrested in France this year, including those in the recent weeks.
France has been covered by a tight security since it is holding the month-long Euro football tournament which kicked off on June 10.