Dhaka attack: Emir of JMB South Muhammad Tanvir arrested in Bangladesh

Dhaka, July 21: A top operative of the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen, Bangladesh or the JMB has been arrested along with three others in connection with the attack on a cafe in Dhaka.

Mahudul Hasan Tanvir, the Emir of the Southern Region of the JMB was arrested from his hideout at Gazipur's Tongi area on Thursday morning by the Rapid Action Battalion.

Also read: Dhaka attack: Sole Japanese survivor hid in cafe's garden

Dhaka attack: JMB operative arrested

The arrests are part of the ongoing investigations into the Dhaka cafe attack in which 22 people were killed. Bangladeshi investigators have maintained that the attack was carried out by JMB although ISIS claimed responsibility for the same.

The other people who were arrested are Ashiqul Akbar Abesh, Najmus Shakib and Rahmatullah Shuvo. The names of these people had cropped up during the investigation and it had been found that they had played an active role in plotting and executing the attack.

Coordinating with the intelligence agencies a pre-dawn operation was launched. It was found that these people were also planning on carrying out a sabotage operation. During the raid the police found eight bombs, bomb making material, jihadi literature, a pistol, eight machetes and 100 rounds of ammunition.

RAB's media wing Director Mufti Mahmud Khan said a huge quantity of weapons, ammunition and bomb-making material have been recovered from the house. Khan added that the RAB swung into action after receiving a tip-off that the four were present in a building.

Also read: Bangladesh terror: Moving beyond secularism-vs-religion debate

Khan said: "These four had taken shelter in the house before Eid during Ramadan and that the house was used for training JMB recruits."

Further it was also found that the hideout was being used to plan attacks.

The name of Tanvir has been doing the rounds for sometime now. Bangladesh had also shared information with Indian agencies about this person.

A dossier is also being prepared by Bangladesh and will be shared with India. The dossier will contain the name of at least 100 operatives of the JMB out of which some are suspected to be hiding in India.

In this list, the name of Muhammad Suleiman who is said to be a key player in the Dhaka attack is also mentioned.

Bangladesh had said that after planning the attack, he had slipped into India seven months back. India had found that Suleiman had met with an ISIS operative by the name Abu Musa Bangali.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...