Australian PM hints at stringent security measures ahead of Sydney siege review

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Canberra, Feb 16: Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has hinted at stringent security measures as the country prepares for the release of a review into the deadly Sydney siege, media reported Monday.

Australian PM hints at stringent security measures ahead of Sydney siege review
Abbott will make a security statement next on Monday ahead of the release of a joint review by both the state and Commonwealth governments into the 16-hour hostage situation in December 2014 that killed two hostages and the gunman, Man Haron Monis, ABC reported Monday.

In a video message, Abbott said people who might be a threat to Australia had been getting the benefit of doubt for too long.

"There's been the benefit of the doubt at our borders, the benefit of the doubt for residency, the benefit of the doubt for citizenship and the benefit of the doubt at Centrelink," he said.

Centrelink delivers a range of payments and services for people at times of major change and is an initiative of the Australian government's department of human services.

"And in the courts, there has been bail, when clearly there should have been jail."

Monis was on bail at the time of the Sydney attack for a string of charges, including sexual offences and abetting the murder of his ex-wife.

It has also emerged that the Iranian-born self-proclaimed cleric was granted a visa in 1996 despite Iran's warnings about his criminal past.

"We are a free and fair nation. But that doesn't mean we should let bad people play us for mugs."

"Well, that's going to stop," Abbott added.

IANS

Please Wait while comments are loading...