Sanaa, April 7: At least 74 children have been killed, 44 children maimed and over 100,000 people have left their homes in search of safer places so far since the fighting began in Yemen on 26 March, said a statement issued by the UNICEF.
With conflict escalating in many parts of Yemen, children continue to be killed, injured, displaced and put at increasing risk from disease, said the statement.
These are conservative figures and UNICEF believes that the total number of children killed is much higher, as the conflict has intensified over the past week.
"Children are paying an intolerable price for this conflict." said UNICEF Yemen Representative Julien Harneis speaking from the Jordanian capital Amman.
"They are being killed, maimed and forced to flee their homes, their health threatened and their education interrupted. These children should be immediately afforded special respect and protection by all parties to the conflict, in line with international humanitarian law," Harneis said.
Hospitals are under increasing pressure as they struggle to manage mass casualties with insufficient supplies with some hospitals and medical facilities being attacked. So far at least three health workers including an ambulance driver have been killed in various attacks.
Wherever security conditions permit, UNICEF teams are working with partners to provide families with safe water and essential health services.
"Conditions are very dangerous right now," said UNICEF's Dr. Gamila Hibatullah in Aden. "Hospitals are overflowing, and even ambulances have been hijacked."