Afghan Sikh stowaways were trapped in container for 18 hours

Subscribe to Oneindia News
Afghan Sikhs were trapped for 18-hours
London, Aug 19: The Sikh men, women and children found in a shipping container in Britain were trapped in the airless box without food or water for 18 hours, their translator said on Monday.

The Sikhs, discovered at Tilbury Docks in Essex, east of London, feared they would have all died had they remained inside for any longer without food or water, Kamaljit Singh Mataharu, a Punjabi-speaking local man called in by the police to translate, told reporters.

"It was pitch black, without any air. It soon became extremely uncomfortable," he told ITV television. "Horrendous, horrendous, horrendous. They suffered a lot," he said. It has emerged that there were 15 families inside the container, all from Kabul, who had made it to Europe in a truck.

A 40-year-old man died and the survivors included 13 men, eight women, aged between 18 and 72, and 13 children aged between one and 12. "They were in a bad state. According to a little boy they'd been in the container for roughly 18 hours," said Mataharu.

It has emerged that there were 15 families inside the container

The container had arrived on a truck at Zeebrugge 12 hours before the people inside were discovered at Tilbury.

"They'd been banging on the container... they'd tried for hours and hours for somebody to hear their voices. They are thanking God they are alive. Another 20 minutes all would've been dead in there," the translator said. Earlier, footage of the group showed at least 13 children, including one as young as one-year-old, were part of the group.

The illegal immigrants from Afghanistan were found screaming and banging for help inside the container on Saturday.

The officer leading a homicide inquiry after the man's body was found inside along with 34 other people said members of the Sikh community from Tilbury were assisting officers and helping to care for the stowaways.

They were hospitalised and those released from hospital include nine men and eight women and 13 children. Four survivors still remain in Southend hospital.

A post-mortem examination was carried out on the body of the deceased yesterday but further tests are set to be undertaken to establish the cause of death.


Please Wait while comments are loading...