Hyderabad, Dec 18: Call-Money-Sex scam has rocked Andhra Pradesh recently. Police have arrested more than 80 people including government officials, political party leaders including the ruling party TDP workers and businessmen.
Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has come under immense pressure as Opposition Party, especially, Jaganmohan Reddy-led YSR Congress raised demand for his resignation.
What is Call-Money-Scam?
- People were offered money at their doorsteps with just one phone call People were given easy and instant loan but with a massive interest rate
- Interest rate can vary from 60% to 200%
- House, vehicles and other properties were accepted as guarantees for the loan
- The borrowers were given a stipulated time to repay the money
What if a borrower failed to repay the loan on time:
- The lenders harassed the borrowers
- People faced extreme harassment, coercion and blackmailing
- Many women were forced to go into flesh trade, prostitution
- Many women were forced to shared beds with the money lenders when they or their relatives failed to repay the loans
- Some people were threatened that their children were abducted
Investigation to unveil the scam:
- The scam was exposed when a woman made a legal complaint against a group
- Police arrested more than 80 people
- Chandrababu Naidu ordered a judicial probe into the matter under a retired judge of the high court