Malda (WB), Dec 26: Hundreds of vehicles remained stranded as a large number of adivasis on Friday blocked roads in different areas of the district in protest against the massacre of adivasis by suspected NDFB(S) militants in Assam.
"The blockades have been continuing despite repeated appeals by the district administration to lift them as hundreds of vehicles remain stranded," Gajol Block Development Officer Sauvik Mukherjee said.
The agitators are also demanding compensation to families of the victims and safety for others, Mukherjee said. The organisation had blocked trains in Malda town for nearly six hours on Thursay.
Nearly 71 persons have so far been killed in a millitant attack by the NDFB(S) militants at Kokrajhar and Sonitpur on Wednesday, Dec 24. The militants attacked the Adivasis in four different locations.
The police and the intelligence confirmed that there was specific intelligence regarding this attack. This was in retaliation to the killing of three militants of the group last week.
Intelligence reports had suggested that there would be an attack in retaliation to the militant killings. In addition to this there was an operation on against the militants for the past 30 days in which several were killed.
The attack suggests that the militants who originally proposed to target Muslim dominated villages changed their plan at the last minute. They went after the Adivasis instead. The reason was there was not enough security in the Adivasi settlements and the militants targeted these areas.
The attack was extremely brutal in nature. The Assam DGP Khagen Sarma informed Oneindia that it took place at 6.30 pm. The militants were armed with sophisticated weapons such as AK47 rifles.
The attack was most brutal in the Pabhoi area bordering Arunachal Pradesh. Women and children were also found dead the DGP informed.
(With inputs from PTI)