It is the 15th reported mishap involving naval personnel and assets after the sinking of the Russian-origin submarine INS Sindhurakshak in August last year in which all the 18 personnel on board were killed. The latest mishap occurred at a time when the warship was returning after operating in rough weather.
A Board of Inquiry (BoI) under a senior officer has been ordered, they said. The warship INS Kuthar is understood to be part of the fleet of the Vishakhapatnam-based Eastern Naval Command, which is in-charge of operations in Bay of Bengal and areas beyond it. The spate of accidents in the Navy resulted in the resignation of former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, who took moral responsibility of the accidents and sought voluntary retirement from the maritime force on February 26.
Recently, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley in written answers told Parliament that the Navy is conducting a number of Board of Inquiries into the mishaps involving the assets of the force. The major mishaps include last year's sinking of INS Sindhurakshak on August 14, fire on board aircraft carrier INS Virat on September 22, fire on board INS Konkan on December 4 and accident of INS Talwar with a fishing trawler.