73 assembly seats of Uttar Pradesh spread across 15 districts are set to go for polls on Saturday amid elaborate security arrangements. The three-cornered contest is being seen as a litmus test for or Prime Minister Narendra Modi's nearly three-year rule.
Here is what you need to know about first phase polling:
- A total of 840 candidates are in fray whose fates would be decided by 2.6 crore voters. The polling will held in 1,181 polling stations.
- Among this 1 crore 17 lakh voters are women and more than 1500 voters have identified themselves as third gender.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh's son, Pankaj Singh, BJP spokesperson Shrikant Sharma, controversial BJP leader Sangeet Som are among the key leaders contesting on Saturday.
- Meerut, which has 7 assembly constituencies, has more than 24 lakh 46 thousand voters who will decide thee fate of 72 contestants.
- BSP is fielding Muslim candidates on 18 out of 73 seats while SP-Congress alliance has put forth Muslim candidates in 12 constituencies.
- Saturday's polls includes sensitive districts like Muzzafarnagar, Shamli, Merrut, Baghpat, Etah, Agra, Gautam Budhh Nagar and Mathura.
- Rahul Yadav, son- in-law of former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad Yadav, is contesting on SP ticket from Sikandrabad seat in Gautam Buddha Nagar district.
- Former BJP UP president Laxmikant Bajpai is also trying his luck from Meerut seat to make a hat trick.