Patna, Feb 20: Fate of Jitan Ram Manjhi and Nitish Kumar will be decided on Friday, Feb 20. Crucial floor test will be held in the Bihar Assembly to prove Manjhi government's majority.
While most of the JD(U) MLAs have been supporting Nitish Kumar, Manjhi received an extra boost from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Sushil Kumar Modi, the BJP chief in Bihar, announced that the party will support Manjhi during the trust in the assembly.
Here are a few crucial facts regarding the trust vote in Bihar assembly:
- BJP is supporting Manjhi as the party wants to "ensure that Nitish Kumar's insult to a Mahadalit is not taken lying down." Mahadalits will play a crucial role in Bihar and the BJP is playing the same card by supporting Manjhi.
- Manjhi needs 117 votes to remain the Bihar Chief Minister. He has support of 12 MLAs from the JD(U). He is also expected to get support from 3 Independents.
- Despite BJP's support, Manjhi is poorly placed to win the trust.
- JD(U) expelled Manjhi when he refused to listen to the advices of the party and did not resign as CM.
- Manjhi did not allow the return of Nitish Kumar as Chief Minister.
- Nitish Kumar is confident he has 128 votes, which would make him Chief Minister.
- The Speaker of the Bihar Assembly accepted JD(U)'s demand that it should now be the chief Opposition and not BJP.
- The JD(U)'s Vijay Kumar Chaudhary is now Leader of Opposition instead of the BJP's Nand Kishore Yadav.
- JD(U) enjoys the support of Lalu Prasad Yadav's RJD.
- Bihar votes for its next government later in 2015. However, it may be held earlier as well.