New Delhi, Nov 21: India woke up to the terrible Indore-Patna Express train tragedy near Pukhrayan in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, on Sunday morning.
According to latest reports, at least 121 people have lost their lives and 200 were injured in the tragic accident.
Experts say the derailment of 14 coaches of the Indore-Patna Express is the biggest railway accident in at least five years in terms of death toll.
Here we bring you some of the worst train accidents that killed hundreds in India:
1. Nov 20, 2016: Indore-Patna Express derailed near Pukhrayan in
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
Death toll: 121 (reports say figures may increase)
2. May 28, 2010: Gyaneshwari Express derailed in West Midnapore
district of West Bengal
Death toll: 148
3. September 9, 2002: Howrah-Delhi Rajdhani Express plunged into
the Dhave river in Bihar's Aurangabad district
Death Toll: 100
4. August 2, 1999: Collision of two trains at Gaisal in
Death toll: 290
5. November 26, 1998: Collision of Jammu Tawi-Sealdah Express
with derailed coaches of the Frontier Mail near Khanna in
Death toll: 212
6. August 20, 1995: Puroshottam Express rammed into Kalindi Express near Firozabad railway station in Uttar Pradesh
Death toll: 400
7. July 8, 1988: Island Express plunged into Ashtamudi lake in
Death toll: 107