New Delhi, Jan 4: Here is timeline of Pathankot terror attack.
December 30 2015: Six terrorists of the Jaish-e-Mohammad enter India through the Kathua-Gurdaspur border in Punjab.
January 1, 2016:
- At around 8 PM, terrorists hire a taxi booked on a Pakistan number. They kill the taxi driver by slitting his throat.
- At around 9.30 PM, terrorists abduct Gurdaspur Superintendent of Police, Salwinder Singh. They drive for 20 kiolmetres before asking SP to get off. Terrorists steal the official car of the SP.
- Terrorists use mobile phone of SP to call handlers in Bhawalpur, Pakistan.
January 2, 2016:
- Terrorists proceed towards Pathankot air force station.
- At 3 PM, terrorists try entering into air force station, but one terrorist is killed while trying to scale the wall.
- At 3.30 PM five other terrorists gain entry into domestic area of air force station where they engage in firing with security personnel.
- NSG rushed to Pathankot. NIA team also present.
- In the gun battle two IAF personnel and one Garuda commando martyred.
- Firing continues all through the day and security forces kill three more terrorists.
- Several security personnel are injured in the attack.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, three service chiefs and NSA convene meeting.
- At 6 PM firing stops but combing and search operations continue.
January 3, 2016:
- Four security personnel including a Lt. Colonel of the NSG succumb to injuries taking toll up to 7.
- At around 12.30 PM firing commences. Security personnel say two more terrorists holed up.
- Sounds of heavy fire and grenades being hurled are heard.
- Security forces claim one more terrorist killed taking toll up to five.
- At 5 PM Home Secretary addresses media and says casualty could have been higher if not for prior intelligence.
- IAF officials say operation is at a mature stage and almost coming to a close.
- Prime Minister chairs high level meeting to discuss Pathankot attack.
- Searching and mopping operations continue.
January 4, 2016:
- Security personnel begin operation to flush out one possible remaining terrorist.
- Intermittent firing followed by grenade being hurled at the air force station.
- Firing continues and security forces say each terrorist was armed with 6 Kgs of RDX.
- Operation still at a mature stage says IAF.
- Security kill one more terrorist taking number to 5.
- One more terrorist suspected to be holed up.
- NSG says that operation is still on, only 5 terrorists killed.
- Combing and mopping operations resume.
- Charred body found, security forces suspect it is of 6th terrorist.
- Body being identified to ascertain if it is sixth terrorist.
- Security forces say combing will continue until area completely secure.