Chennai, March 21: Tamil Nadu is gearing up for assembly elections slated to be held on May 16, Monday.
This is the time when most of the parties are holding hectic parleys to finalise last moment tie-ups, to emerge victorious or to atleast be a kingmaker.
The opposition DMK has entered a pre-poll alliance with the Congress while the ruling AIADMK is yet to announce any coalition.
Other key players of the southern state are also mulling options to either form alliance or to go alone.
Let us take a look at main political parties of Tamil Nadu:
- All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK)
- Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK)
- Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK)
- Dravidar Kazhagam or Dravida Kazhagam (DK)
- Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK)
- Manithaneya Makkal Katchi
- Puthiya Tamilagam
- Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi
The main national parties in the state are:
- Indian National congress (INC)
- Bharatiya Janata party (BJP)
- Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M))
- Communist Party of India (CPI)