New Delhi, Jan 9: Swine flu today claimed a third life in the national capital, taking the death toll to three so far this year. A 38-year-old woman from Uttar Nagar succumbed to the H1N1 virus at the Ram Manohar Lohiya (RML) hospital in the wee hours of the morning.
"She was brought to the hospital in an extremely critical condition on January 4 and was on ventilator support. She died early today morning," confirmed Dr H K Kar, medical superitendent of RML hospital.
As of now, a 30-year-old man from East Delhi and 42-year-old woman from Uttam Nagar have died due to swine flu in the city. Also, a total 31 cases of swine flu have been reported this year.
Dr Kar said that they have created a 30 bed swine flu isolation ward with four ventilator facility. Apart from that other designated 21 hospital have also been directed to follow the standard operating procedure for treatment of swine flu.
Union Health Secretary Luv Verma asked people to remain calm and vigilant.
"This is a seasonal flu for which we will now be shortly putting out 'dos and donts'. In 2014, there were 1000 cases and this time it is still within the manageble range. However, we have issued instructions to Uttar Pradesh and Delhi government to take appropriate measures and follow the standard protocols for treating swine flu patients," said Verma.
Verma said that the Union Health Ministry is planning to buy more medicines, even as he maintained that there are enough stocks. "Swine flu spreads mainly by human to human contact and so individuals have to be vigilant and responsible.
If anyone develops flu like symptoms they should isolate themselves and get themselves tested," Verma added.