Delhi govt to recommend CBI probe, father approaches Irani

New Delhi, Feb 7: Delhi Government on Sunday said it will recommend a CBI inquiry into the death of a Ryan International School student in view of "shortcomings" in the ongoing probe even as the distraught parents of the 6-year-old sought HRD minister Smriti Irani's intervention.

Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said Delhi government will soon recommend a CBI probe into Devansh Kakora's death, a demand made by the boy's father who had yesterday alleged that the child was sexually assaulted before being done to death and that there were injury marks on his private parts.


"We have decided to recommend a CBI probe into death of Devansh. We can see shortcomings in the ongoing probe. "Devansh's parents have levelled serious allegation," Sisodia, who also holds the education portfolio, said.

Separately, the father of the child sent a letter to Irani, seeking her intervention in ensuring handing over of the case to the central agency. A copy of the letter was also sent to Prime Minister's Office.

Congress spokesperson Shobha Oza said CBI inquiry should be ordered into the case heeding to the demands of the parents while JD(U) general secretary K C Tyagi said he supports Delhi Government's decision to recommend handing over of the investigation to the central agency.

Delhi BJP Chief Satish Upadhyay said police should probe all possible angles. In the letter to Irani, the parents alleged there was a "conspiracy" behind the incident and demanded action against the school management.

"Devansh's death was too suspicious and the reasons have still not been cleared by school authorities. I am sure about some conspiracy against my child.

"Being a father, I just request you to please try to hand over this case to CBI so that proper investigations can be made in this case, otherwise I know this case would suppressed by the school administration," Devansh's father Ramhit Meena said in the letter.

Meena today met Delhi Women and Child Welfare minister Sandeep Kumar and expressed concern "that police was not properly investigating" the death of of his son, whose body was found in the reservoir under the amphitheatre of the school located in south Delhi on January 30.

"So far the police has only been talking to the school staff and they have not recorded our statements," he said.

A magisterial probe ordered by the Delhi Government into the case said that "deliberate" inaction by the school authorities amounted to "gross criminal negligence" which led to the death of the child.

"Hoping for justice for my child through your cooperation, I also demand action against the school management," Meena said in the letter to Irani.

Meena had yesterday alleged that injury marks were seen on the boy's body including on private parts and that he saw cotton swabs on the child's private parts. He also alleged that the principal of the school has threatened the family to keep quiet over the issue.

However, a senior police officer, handling the probe, had ruled out sexual assault on the basis of the initial post-mortem report and investigation so far. School's principal Sandhya Sabu and four other staff were arrested by the police in the case.

But all of them had got bail earlier this week. The initial postmortem report suggested he died of drowning and no external injuries were found, police had said.

Expressing dissatisfaction with the Delhi Police investigation so far in the case, Meena said that he wanted an "independent" enquiry.

"I am demanding an enquiry by the CBI or an independent agency because there are chances that the evidences in the case may be tempered," he said.


Please Wait while comments are loading...